Admission to the DSW program is a competitive process. All applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A Master’s Degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited school.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.3 in both undergraduate and graduate study.
- Three or more years of social service agency employment or the equivalent experience post-master’s
Key Dates and Deadlines
The Tulane University School of Social Work Doctorate of Social Work (DSW) program is a high-demand program that attracts extremely qualified candidates during its application periods. We recommend applying for the term you wish to enter as soon as possible. Due to the competitive nature of the DSW, the application period may close earlier than the posted deadline when we’ve met capacity for admitted students. If the application period for the upcoming semester is closed, you are welcome to apply for a subsequent semester by working with our admissions counselors.
Please contact our enrollment team at email@example.com or 504-266-0699 to learn more about upcoming Online DSW dates and deadlines.
How to Apply
Online DSW applications are accepted online. All application packages must include the following:
Three to five double-spaced pages that should include the following statement of purpose
- The origin and development of your interest in social work as a profession, including any significant influences or experiences.
- What a DSW will do for you as a social worker, including how the degree will impact your career
- The ways in which you engage and will continue to engage in practice-based research during and after this program, including your specific areas of interest
- What you will do for the profession, including how the degree will enable you to impact individuals, your community, and/or your area of interest
- Applicants will need to complete the education history section in their online applications. Transcripts for all of their bachelor or post-bachelor institutions (domestic and international) should be entered and must be received prior to going to review.
- Important notes:
- Unofficial copies of transcripts can be uploaded to an application as PDF files. Applicants upload one PDF transcript for each school that they have attended.
- Official transcripts must be sent and received by a university representative.
- Transfer credits on transcripts:
- Official transcripts from the institution where credits were obtained must be submitted in order for credits to be reviewed for transfer. Only credits earned within the previous five years are eligible for transfer.
- Course descriptions and syllabi for courses applicants wish to transfer must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International transcripts will need to be evaluated to show equivalency of the U.S. four-year degree. Applicants are asked to please include a WES evaluation with their transcripts.
- Applicants may submit their official transcripts either electronically or through traditional mail.
- Electronic official transcripts can be sent to: email@example.com
- Hard-copy transcripts can be mailed to: Tulane University School of Social Work, Admissions Department, 127 Elk Place, New Orleans, LA 70112
Letters of Recommendation
- A minimum of two Letters of Recommendation (LORs) must be received. The recommenders will submit the letters of recommendation directly into the application portal. Applicants should select two individuals who know them well and have agreed to write a recommendation. As an applicant, keep the following guidelines in mind:If you are presently working or have been engaged in volunteer work in human services, one letter should be submitted by your supervisor or employer.
- If you are currently a student, two (2) letters should be submitted by a faculty advisor or professor in your major area.
- NO personal references (family, friends, social acquaintances, co-workers) will be accepted.
- We ask applicants to please have on hand the name, title, professional email address, phone number and relationship of each recommender.
Upcoming DSW Webinars
Questions about the application process?
Fill out the form below to learn more about the Online DSW and application process.